Till now the wood has appeared dry and lifeless (see post of March 15). I test stained the jamb of the single door with a mahogany stain, but it was so dark the wood grain almost disappeared. So I merely applied a clear varnish to both doors--a good marine varnish that will protect the wood from weather and UV rays.
There are no words to describe the beauty that lie in these finely-crafted mahogany doors waiting to be released by a glistening finishing coat. Like a magic wand, the wet paintbrush left a burst of rich red huge in its wake—dark streaks of grain showing just beneath. A light sanding or two with a coat of varnish after each, and they'll be perfect.
The beauty of these doors against the back drop of the stone on the front wall left me with the first true rush of excitement as to how wonderful this is all going to turn out. I can't wait.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment