Thursday, December 20, 2007

Best Foot Forward

After combing through several subs who dig footings, and discounting most due to price, we finally went with Greg Mullins--a reasonably-price, well respected sub. Some of the challenge was finding a sub who wanted to dig our footings more than he wanted to be out deer hunting.

Now that they're poured, it's much easier to visualize the footprint of the house. I was struck with how large this thing is going to be. What have I gotten myself into?

Basement walls are soon to follow. We're trying to decide between block walls, filled with concrete, or poured concrete walls. Poured is stronger, but historically pricier too. We'll see.

2 comments:

kf.ruhamah said...

Was it poured concrete that was used in the old Fallout Shelters? I used to spend a lot of time in the basement of a building with a fallout shelter (I had a class down there), and once I even hit my head on the wall in reaching down to pick up a dropped pencil. Boy did it hurt.

Poured concrete would be more visually attractive than the cinder block alternative. You could stain them like others have stained their concrete floors. But won't they also be covered with sheet-rock since the basement will be finished? What's your criteria?

Insolvent said...

You're probably right about fallout shelters being fabricated from poured concrete. It is structurally more sound than the block walls. Some of the basement walls may be visible for a period of time, but the plan is to eventually sheet rock them all.