Saturday, February 16, 2008

What A Pile Of......well, Dirt, Actually

We're beginning to build up the land in preparation for the driveway and pad just outside the 3-car garage (see photo). 14 loads of dirt have been brought in thus far. Each load carried by a huge 20-cubic-yard, tri-axle dump truck.

We got the first two loads free. On the way to the site Thursday after work, I saw two dump trucks being loaded with dirt at a residential lot. I stopped by and asked to speak with the boss. I asked where they were going to dump the dirt, and convinced him that our building site was closer than his dump site. So, he agreed to dump two loads at our lot for free-- my favorite price! We've continued to use him for the rest of the dirt, as he has charged half the going price.

2 comments:

kf.ruhamah said...

I love that you're willing to ask about such things. This has worked out really well.

Insolvent said...

I had nothing to lose. A "No." would have achieved the same result as not asking at all.